0 like 0 dislike
asked in MySQL Database Forum by (13.4k points)  

This error relates to logging into phpMyAdmin, an open source tool used for the administration of MySQL.

Once in awhile, perhaps on a Development server, MySQL won’t be setup with a root password. The aforementioned configuration is generally thought of as against best practices however, if it is what you’re dealing with, then it could also interfere with phpMyAdmin.

Pre-Flight Check

• These instructions are intended specifically for solving the error: Login without a password is forbidden by configuration (see AllowNoPassword).
  • I’ll be working from a Liquid Web Self Managed Ubuntu 15.04 server, and I’ll be logged in as root.

The Error

The error will read “Login without a password is forbidden by configuration (see AllowNoPassword)” as shown below.

Error Login without a password is forbidden by configuration (see AllowNoPassword) [SOLVED]

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
answered by (13.4k points)  

Enabling the ability to manage MySQL via phpMyAdmin (when the root login is passwordless) is as easy as changing one line in a configuration file.

We’ll set the AllowNoPassword variable, located in phpMyAdmin’s configuration file, to TRUE. On an Ubuntu 15.04 server edit the following file:

vim /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php

For a refresher on editing files with vim see: New User Tutorial: Overview of the Vim Text Editor

Find the line:

// $cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = TRUE;

Uncomment that line; you’ll remove the //.

There are two instances of this line in the configuration file… be SURE to uncomment both of them!

Exit and save the file with the command :wq.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related questions

0 like 0 dislike
1 answer
asked Mar 31, 2019 in MySQL Database Forum by nijamutheen j (13.4k points)  
0 like 0 dislike
1 answer
0 like 0 dislike
1 answer
0 like 0 dislike
1 answer
0 like 0 dislike
1 answer