0 like 0 dislike
asked by (13.4k points)  
If we have multiple slaves under the master which went down and we have promoted a stand by slave to master. Then how to point all these slaves again under the new master ?

What about the data consistency part ? Means how to double sure that we don't have any kind of data loss while this switching  ?

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 like 0 dislike
answered by (13.4k points)  
Switching is an instant process. Moreover you will do promote only when your master is down and after promote you will need to make changes and point your application to new ip (new master) so data should be consistent and there should not be any data loss, also it depending upon in which situation your master went down and how it went down

I guess that is only possible if you have a cascading setup, as per your current scenario your master had multiple slaves so if you promote any of slave and make it master I don't think there's a chance to make other servers as a standby on new master,
First issue will be with timelien as new master will have a new time line
Also on all the old standby servers all the details are of old master, and I am not sure that changing recovery file will resume replication with new master

Related questions

0 like 0 dislike
0 answers
0 like 0 dislike
1 answer
0 like 0 dislike
0 answers